Tuesday, April 16, 2013

#RunForBoston

Today I got out and ran 4.15 miles as soon as my reserve period ended. Some people have done 26.2 miles, 2.62 miles, 26.2 minutes, 4.09 miles or 4.15 miles. I think it's all important. I've seen a lot of quotes today about how messing with runners is futile, and I agree. You're not going to find a more dedicated, persevering, resolute bunch than runners, ESPECIALLY Boston runners. I can only hope and wish and train my butt off to become one of those people eventually.

I may have overdone it in the last couple weeks, going from a post-Princess 1/2 marathon (post to come later) break back to 5 and 6 mile runs with no real buildup. The left shin pain I had been feeling has been joined by right shin pain over the last week, and today it was so painful I barely managed a 13 min/mile pace, far off my typical 11-11:30. I tried zensah calf sleeves today and while they seem to help when I'm not running, I swear they make my calves cramp up. We'll try again. Yesterday instead of taking the whole day off after 2 races this weekend, I went to a BodyPump class. Probably not the best idea. David is home tomorrow from his first trip (yay!) so I'm sure he can convince me to hang out and relax a bit ;)

I tell you what, though. Instead of complaining during my run, I yelled at myself (this MAY have been out loud and not just in my head) to get over it. I thought about Boston. I thought about the dad who was running the race yesterday only to lose his son and come *this* close to losing his other two children and his wife. I thought about the other two people to lose their lives. I thought about the people who will never be able to run on their two legs again because they lost theirs yesterday. And if I can't get over some cramps and some shin splints...

It's been since 9/11 that a terrorist attack has affected me this much. I never felt connected to any of the mass shootings. I felt horrible for the victims, of course, but I didn't feel like those incidents affected me. But I can put myself in the shoes of those people. I've been there. I've waited for friends to cross finish lines. I've looked for my family as they watched for me to cross the finish line.

I think the most important thing about #RunForBoston was that it got people out running. Instead of sitting at home watching the news, we got out and did what we love most. Maybe we still felt sad, maybe we felt happy and free. But we got out there, back on the proverbial saddle. I hope that the survivors of this attack feel that they can persevere, as well. I hope they see us all running for them. I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment