Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Reboot

This is about my 100th attempt at launching a blog. I'm hoping to write more this time as I've decided to make this one a general life blog.

In just over 9 weeks I'm running my very first half-marathon!! February 24th is the Disney Princess Half at Disney World. I'm super-excited as I wanted to run it last year and never really dedicated myself to training for it. After the worst heat over the summer was over I started a 10-week training program, ending in a 12K (7.45 mile) race in Adamstown, just down the road. The training pace was fierce but I did pretty well at the race, which was a very hilly course, finishing in an hour and a half.

Unfortunately I took a little more time off after the race than I should have, and got hit with a sinus infection right before Thanksgiving. I just started back on the training plan last week, which should be alright if I can remain injury-free and committed to the schedule.

Yesterday I went for a 5 mile run around Cape Girardeau, where my husband is based with his airline (hopefully temporarily). I'm spoiled by Lancaster, with its wide streets and fairly gentle hills. Yesterday's run was all on sidewalk (hard on my knees) and had hills reminiscent of a roller coaster; steep inclines and steep drops. My right leg, which is always an issue, hurts quite a bit today. I'll have to do a lot of stretching and work on my IT band. I've had this issue before and luckily it doesn't bother me when I run, just when I'm walking around the house.

The main issue I've had with training has been scheduling runs around work. Unfortunately my work schedule is inconstant; one trip I'll be flying nights, another mornings. It's nearly impossible to run after getting up at 4am and flying all day, and if I do manage to get out, I can tell a marked difference in my endurance and pace. BUT at least I get out.

Sometimes I feel like all I do is fly, run, sleep, repeat, but honestly? That's ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment