Saturday, March 29, 2014

Rain rain go away!

March, that bitch, has seemed to transition right into April. Growing up in the Sunshine State, I never understood the adage "April showers bring May flowers." I always thought "but flowers grow year round!" HAHAHAHA how blissfully unaware I was.

It's rained now for the last 2 days with more rain tomorrow. I wanted to run today, and honest, I don't mind running in the rain. However, I do mind how waterlogged my shoes get. It's miserable. And today's light drizzle would go to steady rain without warning. It just wasn't going to happen.

Luckily yesterday everyone favorite yogi (Brad) sent out an email saying that this morning's vinyasa class was going to be hot vinyasa!! There's nothing better for a misplaced Floridian than yoga in 90 degree heat, yo. Nuh-thing. It was great! I was soaked and I'm pretty sure I hair-flipped some sweat on to the girl next to me, but whatever. You know what you're getting into when you go to hot yoga.

I always feel like a cheater when I only go to yoga during the day, so I hung out, played some video games, went grocery shopping and hit the gym for some more swimming. I went yesterday after the elliptical but was so tired/hangry that I only got in 15 minutes.

Rediscovering swimming has made me really happy. It's so easy to forget how cold it is outside when you're in a bathing suit! Management said the heat is on the fritz in the swim area but you couldn't really notice. I'm learning that Friday nights/weekends aren't great times to try to get a workout in, as the gym puts up their (totally boss) inflatable for the kids to play on. This thing is seriously about 60 feet long - NFL combine meets water slide. One of these days I'm totally going to get on it. The downside is that when the inflatable is out, the pool is down to one lap lane. When I arrived tonight the lane was already being used by two people, but I hung out for a few minutes and grabbed it when they were done. 20 minutes and 800m later I'm exhausted and trying to figure out how I can run for 13 miles but can't swim a 1/2 mile without taking 152 breaks!!

I do love swimming, though. It has the same great exertion and "zone out" qualities that running does. It's becoming my go to "hip hurts today/shin splints acting up/it's rainy out" running substitute. And at least now I'm getting use out of that $80 speedo I bought last year!!

namaste, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment